RE: HTML in MIME messages

1994-11-15 18:51:16
Having looked at several HTML examples it seems to me
that HTML should be placed under a
        It's a subjective judgement call.   I think they got it right.

1) HTML really does require machine processing to properly
   present the information it encodes.  For example, HTML can
   contain an indication of where text is BOLD or italics.
   Netscape even includes a font size definition.

        So?

2) HTML can contain URLs (or URIs) which require machine processing ...
3) The notation used in HTML is meaningless to the unsophisticated ...

        So?   So?   You haven't proven that HTML or text/enriched
are useless.   If the URLs are there,  that doesn't make it useless
to the unsophisticated user.   If the markup tags are foreign,  that
doesn't render useless the bulk of the message.   Mark, parenthesis is
markup,  yet I think you'll agree it's quite human readable.

4) HTML is a mark up language that "just" happens to be in ASCII.
   If it didn't use ASCII then we wouldn't even be having this
   discussion.

        [sigh]   We probably WOULD still be having it.

I vote for treating HTML like postscript--in an application context
type.

        Absolutely, positively, NO.   (this is 1994;  I reserve the
right to change my opinion come HTML 3 in 199x)

Comments?

        As I said at the start,  it's a judgement call.
HTML simply looks nicer than RTF.   Personally,  I'd just as soon have
RTF be under text/ because it is  (as far as I can tell)  plain text
canonical[ized].   But I can live with it as it is now and I agree
with the thinking that  "RTF is ugly".   [my words]

        But an answer may lay with the term  "markup".   HTML, SGML,
original GML,  and text/enriched  are all "markup" languages.
The idea (I get) is that you take some plain text and  "mark it up"
for later machine processing.   It *starts* from plain text.   While
RTF (as far as I know) never starts from plain text and wasn't designed
to be human generable,  let alone human readable.   RTF isn't a markup.
(did someone call RTF a markup?)

-Mark Joseph
 Wollongong Advanced Applications Center
 Santa Cruz, CA.
 mjoseph(_at_)mailman(_dot_)aac(_dot_)twg(_dot_)com
 markjoseph(_at_)delphi(_dot_)com

--
Rick Troth <troth(_at_)rice(_dot_)edu>, Rice University, Information Systems