Re: draft-nelson-model-mail-ext-00.txt

1995-10-25 21:38:29
While I sympathize with the difficulty of writing a document for an
unfamiliar audience, I generally agree with Mark's recommendations
for improving the document.

Some notes:

1. Even if you've had to argue long and hard for model/*, the RFC itself
   doesn't have to contain that argument.  Also the argument that
   "Nicholas Negroponte said X" isn't likely to have a lot of weight
   with IETF types anyway ("we reject kings, presidents, and voting...")

2. It isn't necessary or useful to include large sections from other
   documents.  The rules for defining new MIME types will undoubtedly
   (hopefully!) evolve in light of experience, as will other parts
   of the MIME specifications.  There should be one definitive source
   for these rules, and (as I understand your proposal) the rules
   for registering model/* subtypes aren't expected to be different
   from other types anyway.

3. I don't think it's necessary or feasible to exhaustively list
   security considerations for all possible subtypes of model.
   If there are general security risks associated with using
   model/* subtypes, you should describe them, but the real
   security analysis will have to be done on a per-subtype basis
   anyway.  I would expect your security analysis section to
   say something to that effect and be relatively brief.

Regards,

Keith