Re: The last structural shortcoming of MIME: how to remove it

1995-11-29 18:43:14

    From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
    Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 17:38:53 -0500

    For example, it's completely unreasonable to expect a mail reader
    to recognize a file name in any MIME character set and translate
    that character set to whatever is used locally.

I don't think anyone would disagree with this; i.e., that one can't
expect a client to necessarily interpret characters which belong to
a character set other than one recognized locally.

At the same time, it is unreasonable to expect that a client should or
can guess the encoding used in a file name or URL, etc.  Unfortunately,
it is precisely this state of affairs that holds in current practice.

If I may digress for a moment; I should think it is crucial that we
don't drag our feet on coming up with a solution here, particularly
one that can also be used in URLs.  Just think how many URLs are
starting to show up on TV, in magazines, newspapers ...  The lack
of a standard way to identify the encoding of non-ASCII in URLs
is already having an impact on the ability to advertise in domains
which don't employ the roman alphabet.  A solution is needed immediately
to prevent the proliferation of URLs which use the %-encoding but
which have no way to identify the character encodings being encoded.

Regards,
Glenn Adams