Re: Algorithm for splitting long lines

1996-07-22 08:55:09
This is the second line of the original text which was split
because of line
length into several lines as shown above.

Text like this is *not* very neat to read. I developed, many
years ago, a much better algorithm for splitting long lines.

        There are even better ways. Start with a line table. -- I thought 40
column text went out with the Commodore-64. Same with composers that limit you
to 72 columns or less, trying to anticipate how many reply prefixes will get
added. We live in an 80 column world (and this too will pass). Let's figure out
how to exist in that world rather than impose arbitrary limits that take days
to explain to normal humans. The following is from a public domain MUA:

Jack and Jill went up the hill. Jack fell down and Jill came tumbling
after. This is the second line of the original text which was split
because of line length into several lines as shown above.

5th generation:
Jack and Jill went up the hill. Jack fell down and Jill came
tumbling after. This is the second line of the original text which
was split because of line length into several lines as shown above.

Mike Macgirvin                  <MAX(_at_)Netscape(_dot_)Com>
Postmaster General              Netscape Communications Corporation
Mail Server Engineering         http://netscape/people/max/

Any views expressed etc., etc.