URL type

1997-04-29 10:45:04
Hi all

        We want to use the MIME typing system as a generic datatyping/naming
mechanism (outside of mail) in our system. I know that RFC 2017 states that
'message/external-body; access-type=URL; URL=<foo>' is the recommended way
of typing URLs in MIME email. However this is probably too cumbersome and
too mail-specific in our generic system.  What we want is a way to specify
URLs as real "standalone" types.
        Our choices are "text/x-url" and "application/x-url". What would be
the appropriate 'type' in this case ? (What's the guiding factor in deciding
which type - application or text ?) And finally, is there any interest in making
this a standard type ?

Comments ?

thanx
-john