Re: 8BITMIME to 7BIT

1998-08-25 10:31:41
The idea to define a way of computing security and identity
hash sums which will be the same with certain common
conversions which might occur on a message is great if you
can make it work.   ...

        I've always wanted a signature/validation scheme that
would intentionally  (not in the content, only in the signing logic)

                o discard trailing white space

                o unify all other white space
                  (any number of TABs or SPACEs make one instance)

                o unify paragraph breaks
                  (two blank lines, one blank line, same thing)

        And the justification is that I want to be able to

                + cut-n-paste between unlike windows and applications

                + scan printed matter

        and have duly signed text still pass validation.

        These boxes were built to serve us,  not the other way around.
We generate  phone calls,  customer frustration,  and piddly work for
ourselves when we build-in dependence on things that the machine can see
but we cannot see.

        Interoperability is more important than compatibility.
Interoperability opens the door to the next level of technology.
The very reason why the Internet has succeeded is because of inter-
operability,  not because it can  "still exist while in tatters".

--
Rick Troth at La Casita, Houston, Texas, USA