Re: MIME messages without MIME-Version header

1998-09-22 11:12:40
How to handle MIME (-like) messages without the MIME-version header field ?

An agent is free to handle such a messae in whatever fashion it likes. I would
recommend treating it as a MIME message if the content-type and
content-transfer-encoding make sense as MIME fields, but that's just my opinion
-- your mileage may vary.

What do IMAP servers typically do in this case ? I believe the UW server
considers it non-mime and returns it as a singlepart message (not sure).

That's a perfectly acceptable thing to do.

Unfortunately HotMail sends out such messages - they look very much like MIME
messages with boundaries and mime headers and all, but they forgot to stick
in the MIME-Version header; they also use uuencode to encode binary data. Yuk.
(If the right folks are listening .. please fix this and spare us
client-writers some pain)

If they use UUENCODE, what do they put in the content-transfer-encoding
field?

                                Ned