Re: Comments on draft-gellens-format-02.txt

1998-12-04 07:13:18
At 10:18 PM -0800 12/3/98, Dan Kohn wrote:
A generating agent SHOULD conduct the following steps to convert
paragraph text as described in Section 4.1 (which is the format in which
most mail messages are authored) to text/plain; format=flowed:

What follows strikes me as a bit too much implementation advice. And I definitely think it should not be a SHOULD. There may be other, more appropriate algorithms, conditions, etc, not covered, and I don't want people to think the standard discourages them.

B. For each paragraph (i.e., *998<textchar> CRLF),

Paragraphs can be much longer than 998. But this raises an interesting point, which is that nobody better do f=f unwrapping in an MTA and then pass the unwrapped text back out via SMTP.