Re: draft-ietf-drums-msg-fmt and obs-date

1998-12-04 15:32:09
On Fri, 04 Dec 1998 14:20:35 PST, you said:
As per draft-ietf-drums-msg-fmt,

Handling of 2-digit years in the Date fields is:

If a two digit year is encountered whose value
is between 00 and 49, the year is interpreted by adding 2000, ending up
with a value between 2000 and 2049. If a two digit year is encountered
with a value between 50 and 99, or any three digit year is encountered,
the year is interpreted by adding 1900.
---------

However, this does not follow the X/Open recommendation of using '68' as the
rollover number.
..
Comments ?

Well.. there's more PC's and Mac's out there than Unix systems.
Was the 50 rollover chosen for any particular reason?  If there's
some other recommendation that encourages that, we should probably
choose the one that the most machines will be following.

Although one should note that it's probably not an issue, since
it will only cause problems after Jan 1,2000 for people who try
to handle an e-mail sent between Jan 1, 1950 and Jan 1, 1968,
or sent after Jan 1, 2050. I doubt that there are many extant
email messages that this will affect.

--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer