Re: Mail header registry?

2000-10-14 10:36:19
Jacob, and all,

Maybe I should be a little clearer about why I ask.

There is a proposal being kicked around to create a URN namespace for IANA registries and values. I am also working on a proposal for RCC822-in-XML, which leverages a putative IANA registry URN for RFC822 headers. I was somewhat surprised to not find an existing IANA registry when I looked.

Specifically, I would like there to be an XML namespace URI associated with an IANA registry for RFC822 headers. From this, according to RDF URI-construction rules, would follow a URI for each header in the registry.

So, yes: I think Jacob's 1998 draft would form a good starting point for such a registry. I think I'd focus more on simply creating a single registry of header field names and references to definitions, and slightly less on trying to categorize different flavours of header field. If there's a consensus that this is a Good Thing, I'll undertake to review and comment on Jacob's draft with a view to moving it towards a registry BCP.

I also think that Jacob's mail header summary draft would be a good starting point for initially populating the registry. The registration template might be tuned with an eye to information that is readily available in this draft, so that the initial registrations are easily constructed.

#g