Re: Mail header registry?

2000-10-19 04:08:37
In <p05001900b613064073f9(_at_)[130(_dot_)237(_dot_)150(_dot_)139]> Jacob Palme
<jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> writes:

Very strong requirements   ^  Only headers from published IETF standards.

                           +  Only headers approved by a thorough vetting
                           |  procedure.

                           +  Only headers accepted by a vetting procedure
                           |  similar to that for new Content-Types.

Very lenient requirements  v  All reasonable proposals accepted.

Arguments for strong requirements: Avoid badly defined headers
to get into the registry.

Arguments against strong requirements: New headers would not get
into the registry, because of the difficulty in getting them
registered. And no large harm is done by adding a header which
never succeeds, there are lots of synonyms to use. For example,
suppose the registry register a badly defined "Obsoletes", IETF
can then define a better defined header, and call it "Replaces"
or "Supersedes". The badly designed header can stay in the
registry, possibly with a note saying that its use is not
recommended.

I think you just follow existing IANA practice. You get them to set up a
"booking" mechanism that reserves the name of some header on a temporary
basis while an RFC is being prepared. I believe you can already get
provisional port number allocations in this way.

But the main and permanent registry should only hold headers than have
appeard in standards-track or experimental protocol published RFCs.

Email:     chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk  Web:
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Voice/Fax: +44 161 437 4506      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9     Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7  65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5