CRs in messages

2001-05-22 03:18:38
I've recently had a problem with our MTA where a message line was received as

some text<CR><CR><CR>.<CR><CR>
some more text

(where the <CR>s are ASCII 0x0d, not '<CR>')

Our MTA interpreted the <CR>.<CR> as a message terminator, as it assumed that the sending MTA was incorrectly using <CR> line terminators instead of <CR><LF>. (We've seen some cases where they do that)

Comments please?
Is it our MTA which is incorrect by interpreting <CR>.<CR> as the same as <CR><LF>.<CR><LF> or is it the sending MTA/MUA which is incorrect by creating a message with <CR>s in it and then not padding the '.'. (Surely if it really wants <CR> characters rather than <CR><LF> line terminators, it should use Quoted-Printable or Base64 encoding, not just put them in there as ASCII 0x0d characters)

Paul Smith