Dreaming about replacements (was IDN (was Did anyone tell Microsoft ye

2002-05-01 03:00:51

moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu (Keith Moore)  wrote on 30.04.02 in
<200204301731(_dot_)g3UHVHe18588(_at_)astro(_dot_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>:

and there's so little benefit in "pure UTF-8" that it's conceivable
that it would never be worth the trouble to transition to it.  for
example, "pure UTF-8" wouldn't rid the user agent of the need to
parse message header fields and to treat different parts of a
structured field in different ways.

Hmm. So *if* the real solution is a completely new format, that should
address these things, too.

So what we would need - at least for headers - is some format that has a
consistent scheme for structured information.

While not universally loved, that immediately brings to mind XML. Which
conveniently also has an existing solution to the character set problem.
AND many existing implementations.

I assume data would still have MIME types, the parameters would just be
encoded differently - I see no reason to invent a different data typing
scheme here.

Hmm. But the right way to combine possibly binary blobs with these headers
isn't at all clear. We'd certainly like to avoid yet again ASCII-encoding
binary data - that's one of the things we'd like to get away from, after
all! So no gigantic CDATA sections.

Possibly the correct thing is to follow one XML blob (with everything that
in a MIME message is in headers, including internal ones in multiparts)
with a number of binary blob, possibly with a HTTP-1.1-like minimal length
encoding ... hmm. Can't say I like that a lot ... but MIME-header-like
versions don't really seem to be any better either.

Comments?

MfG Kai