Re: IDN (was Did anyone tell Microsoft yet?)

2002-05-02 09:54:29

In <01KH7DUPBRXC0009V3(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com>
ned+ietf-822(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com writes:

I tend to think that agents that try to correct "apparent" errors do more
harm than good, though they certainly seem to be the norm in the email
world.

This is a lovely theorectical discussion of how things could work. But
before I
bother responding with my own take on this please show me the magic wand you
intend to wave that will undo 25 years and countless millions of lines of
code
in common use today that don't work the way you think things should.

A few well-placed servers that routinely bounced everything that was not
standards-compliant would work wonders :-( .

First of all, this is email, not news. The notion of a "well-placed server"
is pretty much undefined in email these days.

Second, this has been tried quite a few times, and the results of doing it are
known: There is an immediate groundswell of outrage from the people whosee mail
no longer gets delivered and who don't give a rat's ass about standards. The
system is returned to a liberal mode of operation in short order, and the
people responsible for this reckless and irresponsible act are usually
disciplined.

I've dealt with situations where sales were lost over this issue.

                                Ned