Re: Dreaming about replacements (was IDN (was Did anyone tellMicrosoft ye

2002-05-07 08:51:50

Keith Moore wrote:

you have no idea about whether the ultimate destination MTA
supports such a feature.

Agreed - but the same would apply to an 'envelope blob' mechanism
(which is what we were talking about)

right, but the envelope blob mechanism wouldn't be appropriate for
requesting delivery notifications either.

Sure it would. In fact, an trace-level envelope flag was provided in the
list of features I want, which has delivery success as one of the
standardized values. I'm not sure about the appropriateness of that, but
DSNs are very desirable as a standardized element. Even if it wasn't part
of the core service, it would be simple to add as an envelope extension.

I explained in detail why this is simply not the case and why you cannot
usefully add success delivery notifications later as an extension of the sort
you describe. Similiar analyses apply to other extensions done this
way. This is why envelope blobs are nowhere near as useful as you persist
in claiming.

                                Ned