Re: UTF-8 over RFC 2047 (Re: Call for Usefor to recharter)

2003-01-07 13:08:55

Keith Moore a écrit:
In my experience the problem with RFC 2047 implementations is usually
that implementations try to "decode" RFC 2047 for the purpose of
internal representation and then to "encode" again for retransmission,
rather than to "decode" RFC 2047 only for the purpose of display.

Unfortunately, this is the way most work and not likely to change.

If I were to write the ideal specification for the developpment of a new news/mail reader, yes, it would have exactly the behaviour of keeping the subject intact by not decoding/recoding it.

Unfortunately most developper do not see the advantage of it, and do not want to make the extra effort this means. Being able to do it requires to test if the subject of the reply has or has not been edited by user, and reusing the older subject if there was no change.

This is extra code to circumvent the problems with RFC2047, and does not even solve everything, even if it would reduce the worst cases.