Re: Interpretation of RFC 2047

2003-01-11 06:49:06

Charles Lindsey wrote:

And you have completely missed the point, which is that these situations,
which are not supposed to happen, WILL happen in the real world.

Please be precise about which "situations" you are talking about.  Are
you now saying that, in contradiction to your earlier claim, "The
occurrence in a Netnews article of a Return-Path containing non-ASCII
within a comment" is a cause for concern?

So you cannot say "this will never happen, so we need do nothing about
it". You have to specify _something_.

So the possibilities are:
1. Use some heuristic that works most of the time
2. Drop it on the floor (i.e. it works none of the time)
and another possibility that occurs to me:
3. Convert it to an X- header (stick and "X-" on the front) and convert
that according to RFC 2047. At least that way no information gets lost.

I'm sorry Charles, but if you wish to have any sort of meaningful discussion,
you'll have to provide some relevant context.  Are you talking about some
scenario which hasn't been presented -- if so, please specify.  OTOH, if
this is more of the same "untagged data from UA, magic happens in gateway
to provide proper tags", forget it -- that has been shown to be unworkable.