Re: RFC 2231 and CFWS

2003-01-27 10:13:10

In <3E32B38A(_dot_)2090104(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> Bruce Lilly
<blilly(_at_)erols(_dot_)com> writes:

Charles Lindsey wrote:

However, on reading the syntax in RFC 2231, I now find a few further
oddities.

1. Broken backwards compatibility

Under RFC 2046, I could write

     x-foo'bar = baz

But that is not allowed now.

OTOH, I can still write

     charset = x-foo'bar

but not

     charset* = ''x-foo'bar

Of course you can't; the asterisk means encoding is used, so that has to be:
    charset* = ''x-foo%27bar

Yes, that is exactly what I said. My whole point in showing these examples
was to check that my understanding of RFC 2231 was correct, and to point
out that, although it make these small incompatible changes, it does not
admit to them in the text. You have to examine the syntax very carefully
in order to spot them.

That is clearly specified in section 4.1 note (5).

But I thought the IETF "didn't do" backwards incompatibility (Cue howls of
protest from Bruce Lilley) :-( .

If you intend to use my name, please at least extend me the common courtesy
of not misspelling it.  Perhaps, you meant somebody else....

My apologies for that. I too have a name which is commonly misspelt.

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.