Re: RFC 2047 and gatewaying

2003-02-17 23:58:29

Russ Allbery wrote:

In message bodies?

No, in message headers.

And message header fields can only contain a subset of ASCII characters;
see RFC 2822 for details.

This is a completely unhelpful comment, which I probably should just
ignore, but which I'm going to instead rant about briefly.

Calm down.

I posted a follow-up to the list because your response to
Jacob Palme's question did not specify that *only* the
message header is affected.  To put it another way, your
response implied that there is a problem with message
bodies, and that is not the case.

Sendmail does not have a problem with any legal 8-bit
message, and my followup was intended to make that clear.

Now you might well point out that there may be a potential
problem *if* 8-bit content were to be permitted in the
message header.  But such content is currently not permitted,
and there has not been any discussion here (the ietf-822
mailing list) recently about changing that in the near
future.