Re: gzip-8bit

2003-02-25 12:21:06

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 04:07:00 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

Juergen Helbing wrote:

And because it seems necessary to re-specify yEnc entirely before it
is used as an official MIME encoding this might be the right time to
learn from the past and to do it better now.

Here's some procrastination (a gzip-8bit CTE) from my procrastination (a
new Usefor draft) from my real work.  As always, comments are
appreciated.

How amusing. I just submitted an Internet Draft describing almost exactly the
same thing. I've attached a copy of what I wrote below.
So who wants to do  the merge?

Amusing ?   I am really not amused.

I'm sorry to hear that. It was not my intention to cause offense.

FYI:  Even a short notification from one of you both that such new
encodings are under development would have saved me weeks of work for
yEnc+MIME. :-(

Um, well, for me, this really was a spur of the moment thing. I had just
finished editing and submitting a revision to the media type registration
procedures and had a bit of time I wanted to spend on another document. I
really didn't want to start in on some big revision and I had read the
discussion of yEnc and thought, "why not?". So I took the beginnings of a draft
I started to write maybe 7-8 years ago on gzip encoding, replaced
deflate-binary with deflate-8bit using yEnc, converted the result from nroff to
XML, and sent it. I then checked mail and found that Dan had done something
similar but complimentary.

There was no plan here, and certainly no time to notify anyone. If you
had asked me if I was going to submit this draft a week ago, I would have
said "of course not".

I wish you both the very best luck - and I'll lurk a little bit if you
start actively realizing something.

Sounds good.

As soon as one of you succeeded I will close that shitty  yenc.org
site, bury that toy - and start promoting you.

The good news for me:  I can do something else for the rest of the
week - because the time was planned for yEnc+MIME. There is no need
for it any longer.

I'm glad to hear there was some positive result.

                                Ned