Re: Message-IDs (Was Re: Kohn draft (was RE: USEFOR: Current situation and next steps))

2003-02-26 09:48:21

[ietf-822. where the msg-id issue is being discussed, is copied]

Andrew Gierth wrote:
"Seth" == Seth Breidbart <sethb(_at_)panix(_dot_)com> writes:

 >> It it were entirely up to me, and I had a clean start, I think I
 >> would remove quoted-strings and quoted-pairs entirely from
 >> msg-ids. But I doubt that is practicable at this stage.

 Seth> Why?  Is there actually software that uses them?

I've certainly seen quoted strings in mail message-ids; in fact the
original host for this list used them (in Resent-Message-ID).

The relevant question is does any existing software currently
have a need to generate them.  If they were ever used, relegating
the construct to obs- syntax still provides for reading old
messages, and if a construct was never used, it could be dropped
entirely.  Has quoted-pair within a no-fold-quote ever actually
been used in a msg-id?