Re: draft-freed-mime-p4-00.txt

2003-02-26 17:49:29

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 19:11, John C Klensin wrote:
Joseph,

For whatever it is worth, a registration in the "no prefix" (IETF) tree
_is_ an endorsement.  I think it would be quite unfortunate to lose that.

If this is the case, perhaps the text should be changed to read:

   3.2.8 Publication Requirements
   Other than /-IETF-/ registrations in the standards tree, the registration
   of a data type does not imply endorsement, approval, or
   recommendation by the IANA or the IETF or even certification that the
   specification is adequate.

As a general observation, we need to be careful to not overgeneralize
from the W3C experience and relationships.  There _is_ a special
relationship between W3C and IETF, including the regular coordination
efforts.   If we need to reflect that relationship in registration
procedures as a special case (I hope that isn't necessary, but am still
trying to think the comments through), then we should do that, probably
in a separate document.  This one also has to cover organizations and
relationships that, bluntly, we may trust less than we trust the W3C.

However, I'm not advocating the proposal above, it's only closer to what you
seem to be suggesting. While I appreciate the special relationship between
the IETF and W3C, it *is* possible to conceive that a media type definition
from some other standards group (including the W3C) in the "no prefix" tree
might have something in it that the IETF doesn't exactly agree with. While
the IETF might trust the W3C enough to invite it to exist in the "no
prefix" tree, I would not presume that means the IETF "endorses" every
registration of the W3C, only that it probably won't screw up too bad (from
the IETF point of view <grin/>) and if there is an issue we can work
together to resolve it.

Regardless, this isn't a biggie, it just seems simpler to me to not look for
"endorsements" in the tree in any case, but instead look at the
status/level and quality of the spec, and if the IETF and W3C are
comfortable sitting next to each other on a branch, that's that. <smile/>