Re: Comments on draft-gellens-format-bis-00.txt

2003-03-12 05:14:34

In <iluu1e9mz83(_dot_)fsf(_at_)latte(_dot_)josefsson(_dot_)org> Simon Josefsson
<jas(_at_)extundo(_dot_)com> writes:

Section 5.1 "Generating Format=Flowed" currently says "lines
SHOULD be shorter than 80 characters"....

2) Leave the original message as is, and potentially break the
   SHOULD about lines being shorter than 80 characters.

If the original message was not format flowed, then it Ought to have
started out with a line length of 72 or thereabouts to allow room for
quoting. So in a well-ordered thread the situation should not arise, and
if it does, then things are no worse than they ar at present with unflowed
messages.

But I agree that letting it expand beyond 80 characters is the correct
thing to do if it arises.

However, an alternative would be to reformat the quoted text (I sometime
do this using par, which has nice facilities for the purpose). This should
be under user control, though, as it could make a mess in inappropriate
cases. However, if it is done then the format could then be made flowed.

So if the draft is to mention this at all, maybe that alternative could be
mentioned also.

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.