Re: Format=flowed delsp=Yes and quoted-printable

2003-08-18 10:26:01

Nathaniel Borenstein wrote:
Pete Resnick wrote:
When you put it back together, what you get is a single long line that (for example) should be displayed with a horizontal scrollbar. It is a representation of a single line, not a wrapped paragraph.

The latter sentence is true, but I have a quibble with your use of the word "should" in the previous sentence. The fact that the data object being displayed is properly understood as a single long line of text does not mandate the choice of one display mechanism over another. In this case, I would contend that inserting soft line breaks and avoiding a horizontal scrollbar is more often than not the more user-friendly thing to do.

If you had said "might" instead of "should" I would have kept my mouth shut. -- Nathaniel

I almost said the same thing, but since the point about quoted messages is valid, I resisted.

Still, experimenting today with 4 PC-based MUAs and 3 web-based MUAs, all of
them wrapped a paragraph that was sent with quoted-printable soft line breaks.