Re: Format=Flowed/RFC 2646 Bis (-02)

2003-11-17 11:18:58

Hi Charles,

--On Monday, November 17, 2003 12:24 +0000 Charles Lindsey <chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> wrote:

|> A non-format=flowed aware client, when processing a received
|> format=flowed  message, will first do CTE decoding and then display the
|> message.  Verification of the signature will then be done on the
|> unflowed text (i.e.  with trailing spaces and CRLFs etc).
|
| No, that will not do, because mail clients, generally speaking, do not do
| PGP verification (whether inline or PGP/MIME). What usually happens is
| that the user takes the signed text displayed on his screen, and verifies
| it by a separate process. This usually starts by copying it all to the
| Clipboard, and then passing the Clipboard to some verifier.

OK - so that just goes to prove that there is no way to construct an inline-signed format=flowed messages such that it will be verifiable by both format=flowed aware and non-aware clients using the clipboard method unless the aware client copies the non-flowed text to the clipboard - which I think is wrong. All this means is that we have to say format=flowed MUST NOT be used with inline-signed messages, otherwise there is no guarantee that an arbitrary recipient will be able to verify it.

| Which raises another issue. Mail clients which support format=flowed
| SHOULD put the original (unflowed) version of the text onto the Clipboard.
| IOW, you should be able to take the displayed text, put it into the
| clipboard (or dran'n'drop it), and plonk it into another (format=flowed
| aware) window, and it should automagically appear reflowed to suit the new
| window.

I think this is wrong. First off where are you going to find a format=flowed aware 'window' that is not in an email client? I want to be able to copy the flowed text from a message and paste it into a text editor or some other application and have it appear flowed.

--
Cyrus Daboo