Re: VMN: Virtual Mail Networks (ESMTP)

2004-02-12 12:02:08

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 02:23:49PM +0000, Charles Lindsey wrote:

In <20040210122023(_dot_)GA1558(_at_)rap(_dot_)rap(_dot_)dk> Keld Jørn
Simonsen <keld(_at_)dkuug(_dot_)dk> writes:

1. Always check for virus/spam before checking for valid receipient, or
whether the mailbox is full or some such.

2. Generate a specific error message, maybe we should introduce a
standard error code for this, like 551 - mail rejected as virus or spam

3. If the mail is virus or spam, then do not send it back to the
sender - as this is most likely a forged address anyway. Discard it
instead.  But if you must, then use the standard error mesaage as
described above.

I think the first thing you need is some standardized header that says
"this message is a bounce", preferebly giving some brief reason including
an error code.

It is much easier to filter out messages containing such a header that to
search the body for clues that might indicate its filterability.

Yes, I agree that some reliable message in the subject would be a great
step forward.

Best regards
Keld