Re: Suggestion for "mailboxes" in ddress

2004-02-14 16:49:13

A brief note on the choice of separation character: The + was first used, I believe, back in the mid-1980's as part of the Andrew Mail system. We chose "+" after an exhaustive analysis of every ASCII character for potential conflicts. It was one of a very small set of characters that were suitable, i.e. invariant across a huge range of email systems, Internet and non-Internet.

Since then, a few *new* systems have been built that have trouble with the "+", so I sympathize with those who now prefer "-". I'm not sure I remember properly, but I think the main objection to using "-" was that quite a few mailing list names already used it, although there may have been others. I remember that our second choice was "#".

The problem with ":" is that it can cause parsing ambiguities with valid RFC 822 addresses. (In particular it was one of the "specials" in the 822 grammar.)

I'm still partial to "+" but "-" is certainly fine for this too. -- Nathaniel

On Feb 13, 2004, at 4:24 PM, Ken Hirsch wrote:

From: "Seth Honeycutt" <gwest39(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com>
This is a suggested possible idea for Internet Mail with RFC 822 /
RFC2822,etc.  It is similar to "disposable e-mail addresses",

This is already widely used. See http://tmda.net/config-pre.html. It was discussed back in 1997 on this list whether it should be standardized. See
http://www.imc.org/ietf-822/mail-archive/mail8.html for discussion of
"subaddressing".