Re: Is Accept-language an email header field?

2004-04-13 09:59:59

At 10:51 08/04/04 +0000, Charles Lindsey wrote:

In <5(_dot_)1(_dot_)0(_dot_)14(_dot_)2(_dot_)20040407112824(_dot_)030442a0(_at_)127(_dot_)0(_dot_)0(_dot_)1> Graham Klyne <GK-lists(_at_)ninebynine(_dot_)org> writes:

>This header field [[[Accept-language]]] is commonly used in email, but some
>problems have been noted, including but not limited to:  determination of
>the email address to which it refers;  use of different field names names
>by some mail agents for the same purpose;  lack of consistent recognition
>and use by receiving agents;  cost and lack of effective
>internationalization of email responses;  problems with interpretation of
>language subtags;  problems determining what character set encoding should
>be used (UTF-8 is not universally supported).
>]]

I would remove the mention of different field names.

Done.

The main purpose of
the Registry AISI is to discourage unnecessary proliferation of lots of
headers all doing the same thing. So whichever the registry endorses, that
effectively causes the others to be deprecated.

As to the problems in determining the address to which it refers (I
presume that particular issue does not arise in its HTTP usage), either it
is too severe a problem, in which case the proper procedure is for someone
to write a standards-track proposal, possibly introducing some additional
syntax; or else it is OK as it stands, in which case it should be
registered. If someone does produce such a draft, then of course it could be
registered in the provisional registry.

HTTP usage is per-session, so the problem doesn't arise. But the suggested text here is specifically with regard to email use.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact