Re: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duerst-archived-at-02.txt

2004-10-28 06:42:00

At 18:01 28/10/04 +0900, Martin Duerst wrote:
At 17:38 04/10/27, Graham Klyne wrote:
>Martin,
>
>Two nits concerning the header field registration (copied below).
>
>1. Specify that the entry is for the permanent header field registry, assuming the relevant conditions are satisfied; e.g.
>[[
>    IANA is herewith requested to register the Archived-At header field
> in the Permanent Message Header Fields Registry, per RFC 3864, as follows:
>]]

What I wanted was to make sure that we get a provisional registration
as soon as possible, and then can move to the permanent registration
as the draft moves forward. That was the way I understood RFC 3864.
Are you saying that I shouldn't care about the provisional registration?
Or should I do the provisional totally separately? Rereading
RFC 3864, I now seem to understand that registering separately
is how it should be done.

Provisional registration is, by design, a lightweight process.

If you want a provisional registration quickly, I suggest you put a copy of this draft on the web at a persistent location (e.g. as an attachment to www-archive ;-) and then submit a message to ietf-message-headers(_at_)lists(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org (also to here would be polite) requesting provisional registration, then barring a substantiated claim that the proposal is in some way harmful send a request to IANA for inclusion in the provisional registry. At this stage, the template should indicate a status of "provisional", and focus on the header field details as implemented by w3.org. (I'd also include a template for X-Archived-At, since that's what is currently used.)

Doing this in no way precludes the proper review and discussion taking place here, with a view to inclusion in the permanent header field registry.

BTW, the way the registry is evolving in practice seems to be that IANA posts just three values:
1. the header field name
2. the applicable protocol
3. a reference to a document containing the registration template.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact