E-mail and group communication

2004-12-18 09:38:08

At 23.53 -0400 04-10-18, Keith Moore wrote:
If anything, it seems like a really effective medium for group conversation
would need to be a lot more functional than anything we can expect to
implement via a user interface for interpersonal email.

Actually, almost all successful group communication systems
I have tried in recent years have e-mail integration. This
e-mail integration can include one or more of the following
functionalities:

(a) All new messages to groups, in which I am a member, can
    be sent to me by e-mail, too.

(b) When I get this e-mial, I can reply, either using the
    mail reply command and send the mail to the group, or by
    clicking on a URL in the e-mail to get to a page in the
    groupware where I can write the reply.

(c) An alternative to sending full group messages by e-mail
    to members, is to send summaries, for example lists of
    titles, which the e-mail user can click on to get this
    message in the groupware. These messages may be sent only
    for example once a day.

Why do so many group communication systems have one of the
commands above? The reason is that e-mail works as a kind
of "news reporting service" (Not "news" in the "netnews"
sense). A news reporting system is a system which tells me
what is new and of interest to me. Examples of such news:

(1) New e-mail, both personal and via mailing lists
(2) Messages in groups in which you are a member
(3) New contributions to blogs
(4) Changes to web pages of importance to you

To make (3) and (4) available via e-mail, people subscribe
to services which check web pages for changes, and send
notifications by e-mail when certain web pages have changed.

Group communication is today mainly done using one of the
following technologies:

(A) E-mail mailing lists handled by software like Listserv
    or Mailman

(B) Netnews newsgroups

(C) Special groupware software like Lotus Notes and
    First Class

I have for many years thought that a really successful
group communication system should combine all these three
functionalities, so that people can choose to interface to
them via either of these three user interfaces.

I have tried to persuade the developers of First Class, to
develop First Class in this direction, but not succeeded
yet in getting them to see the market potential for such a
system. First Class is a very good groupware, when using
its own client software, but does not have a very good
e-mail interface at present.

--
Jacob Palme <jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/