Re: draft-lilly-from-optional-01.txt

2005-02-23 12:46:16

Charles Lindsey <chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk> writes:

This latest draft fails to address the problem I reaised earlier, namely
that omitting the From field altogether breaks a widely deployed MTA,
namely sendmail (and maybe others too) which is regularly configured to
insert a From field of its own choosing if it finds none present
already.

What do you mean by "altogether breaks"?  It looks to me like it causes
sendmail to corrupt the message by introducing a spurious From header with
no actual content (a bug in sendmail, IMO, as an MTA should not be
modifying even messages that it deems syntactically invalid), but that
seems a far cry short of "altogether breaks" and just would put sendmail
into the class of programs that don't correctly comply with this draft.

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>