Re: MTS transparency and anonymity

2005-02-28 11:50:50

We've found that SMTP call-back return path verification is quite
effective, though it has very nasty behaviour for the victims of joe jobs.

I have somewhat different experience - I've found that SMTP call-back
verification often produces unnecessary failures, as it's not unusual for
the sender's SMTP server to fail to respond promptly even though the
message is legitimate.

Oh yes, I didn't say it was easy to use and without interop problems :-)
But they can be mitigated with judicious use of exemption lists etc.

[bounce address verification]  Though IMHO all of these systems are
"not ready for prime time" and it's way too early to try to avoid
duplicating effort.

Indeed. Which is why I'm working on my own flavour of the idea so we get
as many data points as possible.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
BISCAY: NORTHEAST 5 OR 6 BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4, THEN SOUTHWEST 4 OR 5 LATER