Re: SPF I-D for review: draft-schlitt-spf-classic-00.txt

2005-03-06 14:16:33

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Bruce Lilly wrote:
On Fri March 4 2005 16:11, Keith Moore wrote:

I should clarify that by "unauthorized mail" I meant sending a message
using MAIL FROM:<address> and/or From:<address> without having the
authorization of the party associated with <address>.

There's simply no way to detect that situation in current
protocols.

That's true in general. However a site can implement a policy such as
"return paths must contain a security tag" (e.g. as specified in BATV)
which allows that site to distinguish between authorized and unauthorized
use of an address in a return path. At the moment the extent of the
interoperability issues with this idea has not yet been examined in
detail.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
LANDS END TO ST DAVIDS HEAD INCLUDING THE BRISTOL CHANNEL: NORTHEAST BACKING