Re: OPES and Email

2005-07-08 07:12:55

On Thu July 7 2005 14:58, Tony Hansen wrote:

Heads up, email experts!

I don't know if you saw the recent I-D documents that came out, entitled
OPES SMTP Use Cases (draft-ietf-opes-smtp-use-cases-02.txt).
[...]
I'm co-chair of the OPES group, and am aware of its potential
ramifications to the email world. So, I'd appreciate it if you could
review the use-cases document. Discussion about the document is
occurring on the ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org mailing list. (If you'd
rather
not join that list, I can channel your comments.)

I saw and downloaded it, but hadn't had time to review it.  I have now
skimmed over it; here are some initial comments not covering issues
raised by others (e.g. unchecked spelling errors), based on a cursory
scan of the draft:

1. Check against I-D checklist and I-D Guidelines (e.g. via idnits):
   there is no IANA Considerations section -- one is required per
   I-D Guidelines.  Has any thought been given to IANA considerations?
   [A debate has been raging on the IETF discussion list for close to
   a month, however the current IESG guidelines require an IANA
   Considerations section].

2. Numeric references are deprecated because they lead to RFC Editor
   busy-work (renumbering).  See the rfc-interest mailing list archive.
   They also make review and use unnecessarily difficult; I know what
   "[RFC2821]" references, but "[8]" isn't helpful.

3. Examples (some already noted by others) should be checked; a valid
   and carefully formulated example can illustrate a specification, but
   a poorly formulated or invalid example simply causes confusion.  A
   message or message fragment should be checked for validity -- there
   are validating parsers available for authors' use (see
   http://tools.ietf.org (tools inventory and wiki)).  The draft contains: