Re: Comments on draft-resnick-2822upd-02.txt

2007-08-17 16:19:20

In
<6(_dot_)2(_dot_)5(_dot_)6(_dot_)2(_dot_)20070815214922(_dot_)02a4df30(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net>
 SM <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net> writes:

At 14:44 15-08-2007, Charles Lindsey wrote:
2.1.1.  Line Length Limits

  There are two limits that this specification places on the number of
  characters in a line.  Each line of characters MUST be no more than
  998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
  the CRLF.

Can we de-emphasise that SHOULD, and make it clear that this is a matter
of good practice (in the sense of BCP) rather than a normative feature?
Perhaps s/SHOULD/should/? Too many agents have used this as an excuse to
rewrite lines en route (maybe there should be a SHOULD NOT for that).

I read that as more than a BCP.  Quoting a message from the 2822 era:

  "The 78 character recommendation is due to limitations in many
   implementations which display these messages which may truncate display
   of more than 78 characters per line. Of course, even though these
   limitations are put on messages, interpreters of messages would do well
   to handle an arbitrarily large number of characters in a line, including
   for display, for robustness' sake."

Where did that '78' come from? I am aware of lots of systems that do
horrid things such as you mention if there are 80 characters in a line,
but I am aware of none where problems arise with exactly 79. In other fora
where I have seen this discussed, the consensus was that exceeding '79'
was the signal for troubles to start.

There are 80 characters per line on a text display.  There may be a
one character border on the left and right hand side.  That leaves
you with 78 characters.  Some (old) displays do not wrap a long
line.  Although it may sound obsolete in this day and age, some
messages may be sent directly to a printer which may have the same line limit.

I have never seen a text display with a one character border at the left,
though I have seen many with such a border at the right (and which causes
strange wrappings if you try to use it).

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.