Re: Missing ABNF terms in 2821bis?

2007-11-19 05:30:42

In <p06250107c366c2d6fde2(_at_)[74(_dot_)134(_dot_)5(_dot_)163]> Pete Resnick
<presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> writes:

So, going back to my original questions:

On 11/18/07 at 5:36 PM -0800, ned+ietf-822(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

[John Klensin wrote:]

This is the one that affects 2821bis. The control characters cannot
appear in either IPv4 address or IPv6 address domain literals. They
can, in principle, appear in General Address literal, but those
require standards track action, etc., and one could easily cut them
off there. In other words, they are permitted in principle, but
prohibited in practice and are going to stay that way. It is
therefore probably safe to let this go.

It would clearly be stupid for a future IPvn to use them, and it should
be safe to assume that will not happen.

The other issue, to be taken into account however is interoperability with
Netnews (particularly insofar as these things also tuen up in <msg-id>s).

Agreed. The issue is really with 2822. 2821's rules for defining new
address literals offer sufficient protection IMO.

So you and John are saying that we should pull NO-WS-CTL out of dtext?

+1

Should we allow control characters in quoted-pair inside domain-literal?

+1

Should we allow quoted-pair at all in domain-literal?

That one is slightly trickier, as there is less justification from a
2821/IPvn POV. But even there an IPvn that relied on them would be verging
on stupidity, and the constraint placed upon future IPvn designers by
forbidding them would be miniscule.

But for Netnews interoperability there are still a messy problem, so:

+1

(Remember that they all appear in the obsolete (i.e., must be able to
handle for interpretation) syntax.)

Of course.

The first is easy. The latter two are trickier, with the second one
giving me severe heartburn.

A little sodium bicarbonate, perhaps :-).

So John, you are saying that we should leave NO-WS-CTL in quoted-string?

I am neutral there, but they wouldn't be missed.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.