Re: 2822upd-06 Sender

2008-02-03 20:33:16

Frank Ellermann wrote:
Hi, on the DKIM list a poster claimed that Sender is OPTIONAL.
Looking for the evidence why that's wrong in 2822upd I found
an unclear SHOULD:

1:  from multiple authors    => MUST (table 3.6 and in 3.6.2)
2:  one author = transmitter => SHOULD NOT (redundant, 3.6.2)
3:  otherwise SHOULD (3.6.2)

I don't get case (3), why is it only a SHOULD ?  For anything
that's not covered by (2: one author = transmitter) I'd expect
a MUST:

- Otherwise, both fields SHOULD appear.
+ Otherwise, both fields MUST appear.

What could be a plausible excuse to ignore the SHOULD in (3) ?

Nothing wrong with the statement in 2822 section 3.6.2:

   If the originator of the message can be indicated
   by a single mailbox and the author and transmitter are identical, the
   "Sender:" field SHOULD NOT be used.  Otherwise, both fields SHOULD
   appear.

-1 only trying to change something that isn't broken and on enforcing something that will immediately make existing systems non-compliant for no reality plausible reason.

--
HLS