Re: mail relay was: Re: Intent to revive "expires" header from draft-ietf-mailext-new-fields-15

2008-07-25 05:19:53

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
Jeff Macdonald writes:

Ok, you both lost me. Or Perhaps you are agreeing with me. How does a
sending MTA know that final delivery has happened?

It only knows that final delivery will happen, not that it has happened.

Final delivery won't happen if the message later gets bounced.

If you've delivered to the best MX, then that's as far as SMTP takes the
message.

SMTP can take it further if the message is relayed to an internal MTA
using non-MX routeing, and/or if the recipient address is forwarded
(aliased) somewhere else.

The recipient's SMTP server won't know [what happens after final
delivery], won't be able to control or prevent it. Since that's true
even if it advertises DELIVERBY, I think it's acceptable to deliver to
the best MX in R mode.

Yes, and the same goes for internal relaying and alias-forwarding.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
SOUTHEAST FITZROY: SOUTHWEST BECOMING VARIABLE 3 OR 4. MODERATE BECOMING