Re: Intent to revive "expires" header from draft-ietf-mailext-new-fields-15

2008-08-04 09:33:46

In <4891BF7F(_dot_)2050506(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> writes:

But the idea of a message store wasn't part of the original internet
mail architecture. So it's not clear to everyone where its
responsibilities lie.  If the message store is (as I believe) a part of
the recipient's user agent then it should be neutral with respect to
storing messages except when given explicit instructions by the recipient.

Yes, but that all changed when the IETF agreed to standardize POP3 and
IMAP, which are clearly "message stores", even though it is clear that
they are acting solely on behalf of the recipient who, theoretically, has
absolute contol over them (in practice, the recipient has to put up with
whatever his ISP deigns to provide :-( ).

But we still have to decide whether, in the course of introducing this
header, we want to specify any additional behaviour (or absence thereof)
for the POP3 and IMAP documents.

Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave,
CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.