draft-koenig-privicons-03.txt

2011-12-05 15:10:17

My comments on "Privacy Preferences for E-Mail Messages"

1.  Introduction

1.1.  Overview
   .
   .
   .
   This document proposes a syntax (Section 2) and semantics (Section 3)
   allowing a Sending User of an e-mail message to express his or her
   preference for how the e-mail message content should be handled by
   the Receiving Users.  For this purpose, semantics of sets of
   different character combinations ("Privicons") are described.  These
   can syntactically be integrated either in the first-line of the body,
   in the subject line and/or in a dedicated header of any e-mail
   message.  The Privicons icon set has six different icons.  They will
   be machine-readable.

It would be more correct to use the term "header field" rather
than "header" here and in the rest of the document.
   .
   .
   .

1.3.  Terminology and Conventions
   .
   .
   .
   o  The terms "Sending User" and "Receiving User" are related to a
      user using the User Agent either sending or receiving an e-mail
      message.  A Sending User is a user that sends an e-mail message to
      a Receiving User.  A Receiving User is a user that receives an
      e-mail message from a Sending User.

The definition of Sending User needs to be clarified: is it the
email-address from the Sender: header field? Or one or more of
the email-address from the From: header field?
   .
   .
   .
2.  Syntax
   .
   .
   .
   o  MUST contain a header (Section 2.4) with Privacy Preferences,

This "MUST" seems to conflict with the MAY later in this spec.
   .
   .
   .
2.1.  Definitions

   element1 | element2  Elements separated by a bar ("|") are
      alternatives, e.g., "yes | no" will accept yes or no.

   "literal"  Quotation marks surround literal text.  Unless stated
      otherwise, the text is case-insensitive.

   whitespace  " "

   whatever  Some arbitrary text.

   date  Will be substituted by a "full-date", [RFC3339].

   privicon  =
      ("[X]"|"[/]"|"[=]"|"[=0]"|"[=I]"|"[=date]"|"[-]"|"[o]"|"[>]") -
      the Privicon token.  It contains all valid Privicons, the Privicon
      icon set.

   I  I will be substituted by an integer number >= 0.

   description  Contains the description of the Privicon as defined in
      Semantics (Section 3).

   subject  Is the e-mail message subject field, see [RFC5322].

   CRLF  Is the carriage return/line feed pair written in this document
      as "CRLF".  A line is a series of characters that is delimited
      with the two characters carriage-return and line-feed; that is,
      the carriage return (CR) character (ASCII value 13) followed
      immediately by the line feed (LF) character (ASCII value 10), as
      described in section2.1 in [RFC5322]

These definitions need to be formatted to more clearly
distinguish the term from its definition. Perhaps like the
"privicon" definition.

2.2.  First-Line(s) of Message body

   An indication of the Privacy Preference can be given in the first
   line of the body of an e-mail message.

The definition of "first line" is not at all clear except for a
TEXT/PLAIN body.

In the case of a TEXT/HTML body, the intent seems to be that the
first line is the topmost "line" visible to the Receiving User.
However, since the "first line" privicon is the determining
specification in the case of disagreements and the MUA is
expected to "enforce" this, the MUA must be able to *find* the
privicon. This could be difficult for the MUA with sophisticated
HTML code.

For bodies such as IMAGE/*, AUDIO/*, VIDEO/*, MODEL/*, or
APPLICATION/* how is the "first line" to be found?

In the case of a MESSAGE/* the first line would be part of the
embedded message's header and would probably cause a parse error.

In the case of MULTIPART/MIXED the first line would presumably be
the "first line" of whatever the first embedded part is. And in
the case of MULTIPART/ALTERNATIVE the first line would have to be
the "first line" of each embedded version with a method of
resolving conflicts there, too.

The remaining MULTIPART/* type bodies would have similar issues.

   The expression MUST be followed by a text giving a short explanation
   the meaning of the expressions.  It is RECOMMENDED to use the
   following text, although localization into other languages is also
   encouraged, albeit not lined out in this document.

The use of MUST here without specifying the required text is
unenforceable and is better expressed with a SHOULD.
   .
   .
   .
2.4.  Header

   An indication of the Privacy Preference MAY be given in the header of
   an e-mail message, for this purpose the following field is defined,
   extending in section 3.6 in [RFC5322] the field definition, thereof.

As mentioned above this MAY conflicts with the MUST earlier in the spec.

   priviconfield  = "Privicon:" whitespace privicon CRLF

I find the requirement of a single space character following the
colon to be objectionable, this is not Usenet! There should also
be provision for a comment or explanatory text following the
privicon.
   .
   .
   .
2.5.  Footer

   Separated by --

   The Footer MAY be located within the signature as described in
   section 4.3 in [RFC3676] .  It contains a paragraph that describes
   what the Sending User of the e-mail message intended when she chooses
   the selected Privicon.

   A clarification MAY be added that a conflict between header and
   first-line would lead to the first-line to be authoritative.

The preceding paragraph seems out of place.

   footer  = CRLF "-- " CRLF footertext

   footertext  = firstLine CRLF description

   For example:

      --

      [X] - Keep private

      The "Keep secret" Privicon asks the Receiving User to keep the
      received e-mail message secret.

This example seems to imply that the "firstLine" is the first
non-blank line, does this also apply to the body "first line"?

   Note: Footnote may violates [RFC1855] Page4 - do not use more than 4
   lines signature.

   The Footnote is just informative not authoritative

By "Footnote" here do you mean "Footer"?
   .
   .
   .
3.  Semantics
   .
   .
   .
3.1.2.  [/] Don't print

   The "Don't print" Privicon asks the Receiving User to not print the
   received e-mail message.

It is not clear what privacy issue is being addressed with the
"Don't print" privicon. If the Receiving User can more easily
keep a message private by printing it, locking it in a safe, and
deleting the electonic copy, why would the Sending User object?

What danger does the Sending User prevent with this option?
   .
   .
   .
3.2.  Multiple Privicons

   Possible:  Y

   Impossible:  N

   Does not apply:  X

   As secondary option, potentially, and if first preference is
   overruled:

The preceding paragraph is not clear. Do the privicons "OR"
together or replace the first with the second under some
conditions?

                +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
                |     | [X] | [/] | [=] | [-] | [o] | [>] |
                +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
                | [X] |  X  |  Y  |  Y  |  N  |  N  |  N  |
                | [/] |  Y  |  X  |  Y  |  Y  |  Y  |  Y  |
                | [=] |  Y  |  Y  |  X  |  Y  |  Y  |  N  |
                | [-] |  N  |  Y  |  Y  |  X  |  Y  |  Y  |
                | [o] |  N  |  N  |  Y  |  Y  |  X  |  N  |
                | [>] |  N  |  Y  |  N  |  Y  |  N  |  X  |
                +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+

             Table 1: Matrix of all combinations of Privicons.

This table is not symmetrical, so which is the first privicon and
which is the second? Otherwise, explain why [/] and [o] cannot be in
either order.
   .
   .
   .
4.  IANA Considerations

   This document introduces a new field in the e-mail header, as
   described in the header (Section 2.4) section.

The first use of the word "header" in the preceding paragraph is
correct, but the second is not!
   .
   .
   .
Appendix A.  Example e-mail message

   This is an example Privicon e-mail message (Figure 1).