Re: [ietf-822] a detour into SPF, was Mailing lists - assumptions

2014-04-21 00:24:00
Yes indeedy. Looks to me like bog-standard SRS. ...

At present draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis has this to say about the issue:

o  Mediators can solve the problem by rewriting the "MAIL FROM" to be
   in their own domain.  This means mail rejected from the external
   mailbox will have to be forwarded back to the original sender by
   the forwarding service.  Various schemes to do this exist though
   they vary widely in complexity and resource requirements on the
   part of the mediator.

Does anyone seriously think this provides the necessary guidance to an
autoforwarder developer/administrator faced with wholesale rejection of their
forwarded mail due to SPF? Because I certainly don't.

Nobody brought it up in SPFBIS that I can recall.  SRS has been around
for a decade, and I only see it in a few academic mail forwarders and
one web host's mail gateway.  The problem that SRS solves evidently
isn't one that people care enough about very much.

Well, I don't claim to speak for the Internet, but there's been a fair bit
of interest in the SRS support we provide in our product... And that's
from my perspective; I only hear about what people are using when they
have a problem setting it up, find a bug, etc.

                                Ned