[ietf-822] References: none

2019-04-30 16:51:41
Hello-

Is there any standard way for a mail client to tell recipient that "I'm
aware of References and In-Reply-To headers but this email is not a reply
or related to another email"?  So that recipient's mail client could
authoritatively know that this email doesn't "thread" with anything else;
as I don't think recipient can be entirely safe in assuming that the lack
of a References/In-Reply-To headers will always mean that it's a new thread
vs the possibility that the sender isn't aware of/properly using those
headers in the rfc2822 sense[1]?  (e.g. maybe some explicit signal like

[1]  Gmail, for example, still falls back to threading by subject
<https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/965/how-does-gmail-decide-to-thread-email-messages>
when
References/In-Reply-To are absent.

Thanks,