Re: [Asrg] SHEESH!

2003-03-05 10:10:14
From: "Chris Lewis" <clewis(_at_)nortelnetworks(_dot_)com>

I guess I shouldn't have used the V-word when talking about spam on
the IRTF's mailing list about spam.

sheesh!--talk about utterly lame and misguided spam filters.

But in the case of the V word, it works. ...

I wonder if you'd say that if your employer were in the drug industry.

IETF mailing lists are particularly prone to high volumes of spam. I for
one am particularly glad that they're moving to filters.  Takes a _huge_
load of end-user complaints off _my_ head, as well as those of my
colleagues running IETF mailing lists of their own.

There are other things the IETF lists should do instead.  To start,
they should rejectm mail with MIME content headers declaring mail is
not English, and specifically reject JP, KR, and GB character sets.

They should probably also reject any MIME multipart mail, except that
that would not only reject HTML junk but also signed messages.
On the other hand, the messages with 5 KBytes of signature are at best
irritating.

I think they should also use the DCC to reject all bulk mail, but
that's probably only my bias speaking.