[Asrg] Re: More advertising crap

2003-03-05 12:34:13
At 10:09 AM -0800 3/5/03, Fred Baker wrote:
  as e-mail in-boxes get jammed with junk e-mail, IM has become the most
  reliable way to ensure that an electronic message receives priority
  attention.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30944-2003Mar2.html

Can Junk I-M be far behind, then?

One of the things that AOL got right with AIM was the ability to dis the sender. That, combined with a centralized server system, makes it difficult to spam. All it takes is annoying three or four people and suddenly your messages aren't getting through for some period of time. If you could trivially sign up for accounts, then you could get around this. But that requires email verification.

Not to say that spammers couldn't work around those problems, but it has made it harder. AIM has two of the ingredients that make spam control much easier. A centralized server and a verifiable identity.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.