[Asrg] RE: Asrg digest, Vol 1 #42 - 13 msgs

2003-03-06 10:04:35
From: Hadmut Danisch <hadmut(_at_)danisch(_dot_)de>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 23:33:26 +0100
To: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Cc: adam(_at_)cypherspace(_dot_)org, raymie(_at_)cs(_dot_)ucsc(_dot_)edu,
Asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: privacy is a feature (Re: [Asrg] desirable characteristics of
source tracking)

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 05:14:25PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:

it doesn't tell you a thing.  you can use a pseydonym to get a domain
name.

No, you can't. Domain providers/resellers are required to put the
real name of the owner in the whois database. And imprints must
not contain pseudonyms. At least in Germany
and as far as I know in Europe.

This might be difficult to understand for you, but it is a
consequence of all other people's rights and freedom.

Certainly not true in the rest of Europe.  In the UK I can use any name I
like, as many names as I like, for any purpose I like unless that purpose is
in itself illegal.  Never had any problems in France with having different
names on my passport and my driving license.  Never noticed that even German
films stars and fashion models didn't have the habit of using a working name
different from their birth name, so I don't even believe you when you say it
applies in Germany either.

Anyway, it's irrelevant.  What you generally want to identify is the sending
account, so that the ISP can kill it off when he gets complaints.  OK, that
doesn't work while there are free accounts offered on the cover of every
issue of every magazine, and shipped on CDs to every household tin the land
twice a week, because killing off the account does nothing useful.  But if
ISPs start tracking account owners in some way (for example by asking up
front for the credit card number that will be used to pay for the account if
it is kept after the free period, and remembering which of those numbers
have been associated with abusing accounts) or anyway when the market
reaches a level of saturation where the free accounts are no longer a viable
marketing mechanism (which it will in time) it will start to work.