RE: evaluating proposals against requirements (Re: [Asrg] require ments for a proposed solution + notion of consent)

2003-03-07 14:03:27
Ok.. here is my current climate for Friday 03/07/2003-

RMX: is really neat, but all the it actually does is allow the validation of
the sending server. It does nothing to actually stop the spam. As a
postmaster, this concept still has me drooling all over myself as currently
most of my spam is spoofed and each IP lookup takes time to insure that the
spammer isn't using a legitimate service that I cannot block as a whole.
I still believe that it can be incrementally deployed and AUP violators can
be more easily identified and CHARGED $$$.

DNSRBL: the issue I have with this is- What crazy person is entering the
IP's?

CONTENT FILTERING: I do this currently. There is a difference between
context and content that has yet to be resolved and since it is
programmatic, it can be eventually defeated. It is a horsepower hog.

TOKENS: I have privacy issues with this if the token is generated by the
sender. Virus writers and hackers could also hijack or misuse them.

I am sure that point "i)" should be taken out for the time being. I believe
that to be a personal preference and would restrict discussion of some
really good ideas.

I disagree on "h)" too. I believe that the actual sender of UCE should be
charged $10 per email ;-)

Have a good weekend all!

Regards,
Damon Sauer