Re: [Asrg] RE: claims about law

2003-03-07 14:25:13
At 11:12 7/03/03 +0000, Tom Thomson wrote:
>   3.4. The likely endgame for this behaviour is to force senders of
>   unwanted bulk e-mail to stop lying about who they are, which is
>   illegal in meatspace anyway

Why spoil what might otherwise be a fairly decent piece of work with a
blatantly nonsensical claim like this?  In the UK, the only time I am
required to identify myself as the publisher of something is when I publish
election literature for a local, national, or European government election
(plus cases where an identity of the publisher is inherently part of the
publication, such as certain legal notices).

There is a difference between mere anonymity and actual misrepresentation as to identity. Misrepresentation as to identity may constitute the torts of deceit (if it causes damage to a person who relies on the misrepresentation to their detriment), passing off (if it causes a person to believe the product is being offered by an unrelated business), or defamation (if it represents that another person or business is the spammer). If done in trade or commerce, any misrepresentation, even an inadvertent one, may be illegal without more under fair trading statutes. If an intentional misrepresentation (that is, a deception) is made with the intention of making a financial gain by that misrepresentation, it may be a criminal offence under statutes supplementing the law of larceny. The use of the domain name of another where the domain name reflects the holder's trademark may be illegal under trademark statutes.

Some of these have even been successfully tested in relation to fraudulent misidentification by spammers.

--
Troy Rollo                              Chairman, CAUBE.AU
asrg(_at_)troy(_dot_)rollo(_dot_)name                   Executive Director,