Re: [Asrg] What would consent look like?

2003-03-10 08:37:22
well, my initial reaction is that for 'applies-to' you need to be clear
about what this means.  is it:

a. the address that appears in the From field (regardless of who
   actually sent the message)
b. the address that appears in SMTP MAIL FROM / Return-Path
   (regardless of who actually sent the message)
c. the address that sent the message (assuming some way to
   identify/authenticate that party)
d. some other address
e. more than one of a-d

I meant the envelope recipient - the address in the RCTP TO

here's what I think consent looks like.  this would be placed on a
net-accessible server in some place where it could be found using
the address moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu - probably you'd do a dns lookup

I'm keeping away from any implementation details - it's way too
early - I think. But yes, something like that, why not.

-
recipient moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu consents to having messages
matching any
of the following criteria not delivered normally, with the following
actions taken:

a) any message with more than 5 non-ASCII characters in the subject field
   (action=discard)
b) any message with a MAIL FROM address that is invalid (action=discard)
c) any message with a From header address that is invalid

These would come under the heading of message classifications.

and the whole thing could be signed.  (granted, details of establishing
reasonable trust in the signature could be tricky)

I think it's possible to limit the signing requirement.
Organisations and local systems have more direct means of
authenticating the source of a consent (does it come from
one of our subnets, or something).

this is a deliberately complex example, but I wanted to illustrate
several things:

1. a variety of kinds of criteria, some based on content, some based
   on ability to identify the source, some based on trustworthiness
   of the source, some based on volume, some based on criteria specified
   elsewhere

all really part of some message classification component

2. a variety of actions: e.g. bounce, delay, discard, deliver,
   and/or limit the kinds of messages I will accept

I only need to (accept | deny) really - the disposition of the
offending message is an issue of configuring the consent seeking
entity - what it does when a "deny" is obtained
- if this entity is my MUA that's covered separately.

If I need to control disposition, then I only ever issue consents
with local scope. Bingo.

3. filtering things that aren't of interest to me, whether or not they
   meet anyone else's criteria for "spam".  (like the annoying message
   from djb insisting that everyone should adopt his method of composing