RE: [Asrg] inventory of problems

2003-03-10 14:16:14
Any real solution would work regardless of the attackers knowledge of the
system. Remember security class?

We have to make them play by our rules - completely plausible and doable.
Then when they do, we can fight them there. That's what my previous thread
was about. In order for a message to be delivered, it has to abide by our
rules, and pass our checks. Those rules require them to give
up/modify/announce their true behavior.

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On
Behalf Of
Vernon Schryver
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 2:47 PM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] inventory of problems

From: Liudvikas Bukys <bukys(_at_)cs(_dot_)rochester(_dot_)edu>

Along the way to writing my inventory of solutions,
I wrote up an inventory of problems.  I see these as
the antecedents of the solutions, and also a useful
checklist anticipating the counter-counter-measures
of the spammers.

Such checklists are invaluable resources to spammers.  Most spammers
are not technically proficient, and judging from the spam I've seen,
no significant spammer is technically competent enough to produce that
checklist.  If this mailing list were shut down today, it would have
proven quite harmful to the good guys because of that checklist.

I don't intend to say that it should not have been posted, but to urge
caution.  This is a public list whose archives will soon be indexed
by the search engines.  It would be a shame if the only results from
this effort are a lot of noise and some cookbooks and checklists for
spammers.