[Asrg] Getting lost in the noise

2003-03-12 08:51:20
 Dear Colleagues and people smarter than me, (or is it ..smarter than I?)

 I have read several threads that eventually just get so whitewashed with so
much noise that they become useless.
There are a lot of good ideas that are eventually deemed incapable of
stopping spam and dropped or the thread becomes so homogenized and diluted
that it is useless.

I hate to keep going back to the beginning but can we decide on some rules
for posting? Can we add [RANT] to the subject line if that is all we are
going to do? (rule is not in place yet so, no, I do not have it in this
subject line)

 I offer this- There is no way to stop spam completely.
 But there are ways to make it harder to spam and maybe we can make it just
hard enough to make it ineffective as a marketing tool.

 I am still an advocate of some type of reverse authentication. I understand
that this will not stop spam, but what it will do is legitimatize the
sending mechanism, not the email coming from it. This is a godsend for the
frontline soldiers, postmasters like me! (Think tanks are for big, fat,
dumb, and happy fish) It gives me the ability to allow/reject based on
factual information about the sending host without having to spend extra
cycles researching the headers on thousands of spoofed messages. Everything
else from this point forward can be handled programmatically.

 Content filters and the such are for filtering actual spam. But they are
just that, content filters not context filters. I do not think that these
alone can be used to stop spam.

 We keep building bigger and bigger dams to stop the flood. What we need to
do is turn the source from a raging river to a bubbling brook. This can only
be accomplished with mechanisms upstream, not at the final destination.

 I also believe that there is not one way to stop spam it will require
several levels of legitimization.

 - Legitimize the email mechanism

 Trust, reverse authentication, RDNS, RBL, etc.

 - Legitimize the sender

 Whitelists, Stamps, Tokens, Certificates, etc.

 - Legitimize the content

 Spam filters, umm.., etc.

 - Legitimize the receiver
 double-optin, address verification, etc.

 I hate to keep going all the way back to start... can we go through the
threads and pick out where they went wrong and start from there?

 I want to roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty!

Regards,
Damon

PS> Thanks for those that are keeping their sense of humor. It really helps
get me through all these threads.

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."